How Do I ?

Living Alone Allowance

This is a weekly payment for people who are in receipt of certain Social Welfare payments. You may qualify for this payment if you live completely alone or mainly alone in certain circumstances.

To get the increase in your payment you must live completely alone. However, there are some exceptions:
If you are living in an extension of a family member’s home, for example, in a granny flat, you can qualify for the increase if you can show that you have facilities to cook and eat alone. You must also have your own living/dining and sleeping accommodation.

You may also qualify as living alone if you are aged or infirm and have a friend or relative to stay for security reasons at night-time only. The friend or relative must not contribute to the household financially.

The increase may also be payable if you live alone during the day but stay with relatives or friends at night or if you live alone during the week but have a relative to stay at the weekend (the living alone condition is satisfied as long as the relative has a permanent home address elsewhere).

You will also qualify if you live alone but occasionally take in paying guests (for example, during a local festival). However, if you run a bed and breakfast business (even for part of the year) you will not qualify.

People who live in sheltered accommodation may qualify if they are regarded as living independently within the institution. The Department of Social Protection provides a list of hostels/homes where Living Alone Increase is payable. You will not qualify if you share dormitory accommodation with others, or have supervision or nursing care round-the clock.

Please click here for Living Allowance Application form.

People who live in nursing homes will not qualify as they cannot be regarded as living completely or mainly.  Please click on the link below for further clarification.
For more information on this payment contact your local Citizens Information Centre or Social Welfare office.