How Do I ?

Fuel Allowance

This is a payment to help with the cost of heating your home. It operates for 26 weeks from the end of September to April. The allowance is €20 per week.
There are certain conditions to qualify so please contact your local Citizens Information Centre for further information or your local Social Welfare office.

If you apply for the Fuel Allowance after the start of the heating season
(in October), the allowance will not be backdated.

For Fuel Allowance Application form please click here

For further information please contact your local Citizen Information Office or Social Welfare Office.

Winter Fuel Payment (UK)

You could get between £100 and £300 tax-free to help pay your heating bills if you were born on or before 5 January 1952.  This is known as a “Winter Fuel Payment”.
Most payments are made automatically between November and December.  You should get your money by Christmas.
You usually get a Winter Fuel Payment automatically if you get the State Pension or another social security benefit (not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction or Child Benefit).
If you qualify but don’t get paid automatically, you will need to make a claim.
You need to claim Winter Fuel Payment if you have not had it before and either of the following apply:

  • You don’t get benefits or the State Pension
  • You only get Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction or Child Benefit

If you are eligible use the Winter Fuel Payments claims form – past winters to claim for Winters between 1977 to 1998, 1998 to 1999 and 1999 to 2000.

Forms then to be sent to:
International, Future and Specialist Pension Centre
Winter Fuel Payments
Tyneview Park
Benton Road
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE98 1BA